[SystemSafety] Observations on ML subsystems of safety-related systems

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Mar 1 13:17:01 CET 2022

About a year ago, people working on IEC TS 5469 on functional safety and "AI" subsystems were
suggesting the TS was about ready for prime time.

I had my doubts. I wasn't convinced that many of the people working on the TS understood AI systems
in general and ML-based subsystems in particular. I wrote a note in April 2021. It is available at
https://nb-nc.de:8443/s/bBYoe2mZ9zZbgFF until the end of the month.

Comments welcome.

BTW, the TS has still not been finally agreed. The subject turned out to be a little more
complicated than people thought :-)

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany