[SystemSafety] Two Preprints

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Mar 15 11:04:42 CET 2022

I have uploaded two preprints of papers to ResearchGate. Both papers have been submitted for
publication. People here might be interested.

Evaluating Software Execution as a Bernoulli Process DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.28079.82082

This is my response to the odd view of Daniels and Tudor in their recent SCSCeJ paper that
evaluating discrete-function software execution as a Bernoulli Process does not work (while
acknowledging that maybe it doesn't work for them :-) ).

Assigning IACS Cybersecurity Responsibility Conformant with the NIS Regulations
(with Martyn Thomas) DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.36062.10567

The UK NIS regulations were introduced in 2018 pursuant to a 2016 EU Directive on cybersecurity
measures for critical infrastructure (although GB was to exit the EU, the NIS cybersecurity approach
was seen as a sensible, indeed vital, measure for critinf protection). NIS regs have reporting
requirements for vulnerabilities; a designated point of (national and international) contact per
critinf (the Competent Authority, usually the NCSC); and an incident response organisation (called
here a CSIRT). In 2018, Martyn and I determined that more detail was needed on the specific
operations which would enable this structure to function effectively. We use the term "mandate" for
a necessary function, and consider who (which stakeholders) has/have the duty to implement which
parts of each mandate. We concentrated on IACS, in part because the views of certain stakeholders
are already public, and in part because you have to start somewhere, and this became detailed
enough. The UK NIS regulations are currently up for review and public commentary.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany