[SystemSafety] An open source vehicle

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at bluewind.it
Tue May 10 23:27:39 CEST 2022

Thanks Derek! See comments below

> There is lots of talk on this email list about software
> processes and the issues of certification. There is an
> assumption that this kind of software will only be
> produced by big companies, or perhaps I am misreading
> things.

Well actually my understanding is that building safe hardware and software is (also) a matter of independent review and test, and of course this ought not to be done by the same individuals developing or designing the architecture. This is a reason for medium to big corporations perhaps being more into safety, not the only one of course

> The idiots on electric bikes in London I can just about handle.
> People driving self built electric vehicles is a whole new
> ballgame.

From another point of view retrofitting existing vehicles could potentially reduce a lot the great waste of resources required to produce brand new vehicles…