[SystemSafety] E-bike battery fires in NY

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 05:22:09 CET 2022

Good and useful discussions!

Product Safety standards do have strong requirements for safety of  primary
and secondary batteries in equipment. These standards (IEC 60950, IEC
62133, UL 1642, UL 2054 etc.) include proof of safety in fault conditions
including short circuit, thermal abuse, crush, overcharge vibration etc.
Compliance is required BEFORE Regulatory Compliance Marking and sale.

It still surprises and disappoints me that products are released that
still do not meet the requirements of these standards we have been around
for some time.

I have had experience 20 years ago assessing a Bus Drivers Console that
exploded after some time in use, hurting the driver and smashing the
windscreen. This was a small button lithium cell for memory backup, so the
explosive force was impressive for its size. The product did have
Compliance Marking but we found that the isolating diode for the battery
was reversed so that the battery was unintentionally receiving a continuous
high current charge. This manufacturing error should have been picked up in
testing.

This has since made me suspicious of product safety labelling and
statements of compliance to standards. Dormant failures are the bane of
safety.

Best regards,
Bruce Hunter