[SystemSafety] Risk .... again

mahonybp at tpg.com.au mahonybp at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 30 04:18:23 CEST 2022

It seems several of the issues that might be of interest in defining
risk and risk management are raised in Les’ post.
I’ll try to abstract away from the subject matter as much as
possible.

1: This is a system with motivated agents, so is risk management
applicable?
Experience with cyber risk management would suggest that assigning
probabilities/metrics to the actions of motivated agents leads to
incorrect calculations.
2: Who is the appropriate duty holder to manage these hazards?

Seems a lot of technical support for the proposition that effective
hazard management should be undertaken with the largest system
boundary that can be drawn. Here we are talking quite literally about
societal level hazards.
3: Where does individual risk management fit in the hierarchy of
controls?
Is it even personal protective equipment? Are individual hazard
mitigations like disengaging from society or quitting a job realistic
options? Will a risk-based approach really make useful predictions
about the actions of motivated agents, especially at the individual
level?