[SystemSafety] AI and the virtuous test Oracle - action now!

Dr. Brendan Patrick Mahony mahonybp at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 26 08:52:59 CEST 2023

> On 23 Jul 2023, at 8:31 pm, Prof. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin at techfak.de> wrote:
>
> Am I right that this is a regime that concerns cybersecurity? And that it is a US Government process? And that it concerns largely IT systems?

All good questions I was hoping someone wiser might have answers to.

cATO arrises in relation to something called SecDevOps and is promoted by elements of the military cyber community, so certainly safety is not front and centre. That may be a problem rather than a feature.

It would be nice to think that cATO only applies to “IT” systems, if by IT you mean typewriter and calculator replacement software.

My concerns are that it seems to be being promoted as an approach to in-servicing “intelligent” systems, meaning they intend to use cATO to authorise the fielding of whole swathes of “operator” replacement software. Hence my question to the list.

Does anyone across cATO care to comment?

Brendan