[SystemSafety] Software Safety Assessment

RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) bertrand.ricque at sagem.com
Wed Jul 8 15:09:39 CEST 2015

Another answer :
1. Is it acceptable to use an obsolete (but still valid) safety standard to assess new software?
Obsolete technically or because superseded by a more recent document ? Still valid technically or because not superseded ?

2. Is the SIL1 claim for 10 year old Project A invalid because the checklist could have been better?
SIL1 is so loose that I don't see how to differentiate it from non safety SW developed under reasonable QA

3. If Project B used the old checklist from Project A would that be adequate?
If standard A is not technically obsolete AND superseded by a new document (which would mean that the context is technically and from a regulatory/contractual point view so loose that nobody really cares), you might use the old checklist.

Bertrand Ricque
Program Manager
Optronics and Defence Division
Sights Program
Mob : +33 6 87 47 84 64
It's complicated and I was trying to avoid too much detail to get to the central questions.

It has been 'fielded' and is being 'used' during extended V&V activities (in parallel with the old system) but it is not yet considered fully operational. Safety assessment of some software aspects continues on Program A but not the 'process-based' software development assessment which was the subject of Standard X and the original checklist in 2004. For the scenario, take it as read that Standard X tools and techniques are still valid even though it is now obsolete.

My original questions slightly modified are:

1. Is it acceptable to use an obsolete (but still valid) safety standard to assess new software?

2. Is the SIL1 claim for 10 year old Project A invalid because the checklist could have been better?

3. If Project B used the old checklist from Project A would that be adequate?

Cheers
Carl