[SystemSafety] Software Safety Assessment

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 06:31:36 CEST 2015

Carl,

My perspective is as follows. In summary I don't think your question or the
answers have much to do with 'safety', per se, but a lot to do with role of
formalism in engineering.

1. Is it acceptable to use an obsolete (but still valid) safety standard to
assess new software?

A: Yes, unless there exist latter standards that specifically identify and
fix inadequacies in the former, thereby invalidating it. See for example
the issue of DO-178C, which resolved a number of recognized problems with
its predecessor 178B.

Remember that complying to a standard is not an argument about whether
you're safe per se but about compliance with a defined protocol. It's
similar to the principle of legal formalism whereby the law is deemed to
define itself by rigorous adherence to the statutes even (and perhaps
especially) when it cuts against common sense. This is one view of the law
by the way.

As to how close the standard gets to safety or the law gets to justice, who
knows. But from a formalism perspective we're not arguing that are we?

2. Is the SIL1 claim for 10 year old Project A invalid because the
checklist could have been better?

A: No, from the same perspective, if it's part of the same standard and
that has not been explicitly superseded by another. So it's a perfectly
valid formalism, go to it.

3. If Project B used the old checklist from Project A would that be
adequate?

A: From this perspective, yes as long as there was no superseding standard
that obsoleted it for that reason (e.g poor checklists).

>From a practical perspective, now that you know there's a problem?

Maybe... But do you? Really?

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng