[SystemSafety] Software Safety Assessment

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 9 13:54:16 CEST 2015

On 7/9/15 12:31 AM, Matthew Squair wrote:
> ... See for example the issue of DO-178C, which resolved a number of
> recognized problems with its predecessor 178B.
I believe this sentence is misleading.  Some of the changes made in
DO-178C were *intended to address* recognized problems in 178B. Whether
those changes *resolved* the problems cannot be determined at this time.
We won't begin to know until DO-178C is used in practice many times.

(As an aside, I suspect that if you asked members of the
committee/working group that produced DO-178C what percentage of changes
between B and C addressed 'recognized problems', you would get answers
ranging from 1% to 50%. I'd be happy to tell people my own answer in
private, but not on this list.)

--
/*cMh*/

*C. Michael Holloway*, Senior Research Engineer
Safety Critical Avionics Systems Branch, Research Directorate
NASA Langley Research Center / MS 130 Hampton VA 23681-2199 USA
office phone: +1.757.864.1701 /often forwarded to/ +1.757.598.1707

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.