[SystemSafety] Software Safety Assessment

RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) bertrand.ricque at sagem.com
Thu Jul 9 14:02:27 CEST 2015

In process and manufacturing industries, we experience since the nineties two opposite trends :

·         The clarification, harmonisation and strengthening of standards leading to more clear and stringent requirements

·         The reduction of the budgets, of the basic competencies of the actors leading to poorer engineering

The  context is fed by requirements from buyers to lower the costs and competition between suppliers to satisfy the buyers requirements.

The first who says it doesn’t work, or that there are limits to such a trend has lost …

The standards thus, at the same time, reflect under this pressure openings to “new” technologies (e.g. possibility to mix safety and non-safety) and requirements to deploy such “novelties” with adequate discipline and techniques.

Of course everybody stops at the first part of the above sentence. However less and less actors are able to understand the second part and to explain it to decision makers.

So the new standards are not “really” solving anything, but merely creating new problems more deeply embedded in the systems, until the next catastrophy.

Bertrand Ricque
Program Manager
Optronics and Defence Division
Sights Program