[SystemSafety] Formality is metaphorical (was Re: power plant user interfaces)

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 15 13:30:42 CEST 2015

On 7/15/15 1:20 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
 > ... There is a fair amount of math and logic involved. No metaphors.

A good case can be made that formal logic is as metaphorical as it gets.

After all one of the meanings of metaphor is  "Something regarded as
representative or suggestive of something else ...." ["metaphor, n.
(sense 2)". OED Online. June 2015. Oxford University Press.
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/117328 (accessed July 15, 2015).]

(I have no doubt that I will regret having posted this brief message
before this day is done.)

--
/*cMh*/

*C. Michael Holloway*, Senior Research Engineer
Safety Critical Avionics Systems Branch, Research Directorate
NASA Langley Research Center / MS 130 Hampton VA 23681-2199 USA
office phone: +1.757.864.1701 /often forwarded to/ +1.757.598.1707

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.