[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Mon Jul 18 10:58:44 CEST 2016

I sort of have one of these... we just brought a new(ish) Ford Mondeo (Fusion in the USA) and it has a camera in the same place the Tesla does that picks out speed signs and displays them on the dash, apparently it has lane keeping as well probably enabled via the same camera but I have no idea how to use it...

Out of curiosity I went and got the manual to see what it said about some of the “driver aids”...

TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION

Warning: The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention

Warning: At all times you are responsible for controlling your vehicle, supervising the system and intervening if required.

Warning: If the sensor becomes blocked the system may not function.

Note: in cold and severe weather conditions the systems may not function. Rain, snow spray and large contrasts in lighting can all prevent the sensor from functioning correctly

Note the system may not detect all traffic signs and may not read signs correctly.

Note the system is designed to automatically detect traffic signs meeting the Venna convention.

ACTIVE CITY STOP

Warning: You are responsible for controlling your vehicle at all times . The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. Failure to take care may result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury of death.

<snip>

Warning: The system does not react to cyclists, motor cyclists, pedestrians, animals or vehicles that are driving in a different direction. Failure to take care may result in  <as above>

<snip>

Warning: The system may not operate during cold or severe weather conditions <more or less as above>

Warning: The system may not operate when driving around shape curves.

Warning: The system may not operate detect objects with surfaces that absorb reflections. Failure to take care <as above>.

COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM

Warning: You are responsible for controlling your vehicle at all times . The system does not relieve you of...<snip>

Warning: The system does not react to cyclists, ...<snip>

Warning: The system may not operate during cold or severe weather conditions <snip>

Warning: System performance mat reduce in situations where the camera’s detection capability is limited. These situations include, but are not limited to DIORECT OR LOW SUNLIGHT, vehicles at night without taillights, unconventional vehicle types, pedestrians with complex backgrounds, running pedestrians or pedestrians which cannot be distinguished from a group. Failure to take care... <snip>

Warning: The system cannot prevent all collisions. Do not rely on this system to replace driver judgement and the need to maintain distance and speed.

I’ll stop there but it goes on and on and on in much the same way for every driver aid.