[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

Dave Banham dave.banham at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:26:57 CEST 2016

Haim,

if the problem that you are concerned with is whether or not a display symbol is
placed in the correct location on the display then looking at display technology
failure modes is not going to help you because all a display does is, well,
display the image data given to it. You'd have to consider where in the data
path the transformation from world coordinates to display coordinates is made
and then where the image of the display symbol is rendered into the raster
memory before the raster image data is transfer to the display. And then
consider the ways in which this could go wrong.

A failure modes analysis of a modern computer display might at least start of by
considering the following symptoms, then their operational impact, possible
route courses, and then the mitigations:

* Blank display

* Stuck pizel(s)

* Dead pixel(s)

* Stuck row(s) or column(s)

* Dead/failed row(s) or column(s)

* Flickering

I would have thought that display panel manufactures would have reliability data
for at least display panel faults and that OEM display manufacturs could add the
reliability figures of their electronics to that.

You might also want to consider some "soft" display /failure/ symptoms too, e.g.:

* On screen display menu/status originating from the display obscures actual
display information for some amount of time.

* Light glare obscures (makes hard to clearly see) the displayed image

* Poor colour contrast leads to unreliable colour identification

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Regards,

Dave Banham