[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

SPRIGGS, John J John.SPRIGGS at nats.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 10:16:08 CEST 2016

Hi Haim,
I am surprised that it is necessary for the operator to be 100% sure that the symbol is exactly on the correct spot on the display.  In most applications there is an 'annulus of concern' around the 'true' position; if the displayed plot is in the hole in the middle, the error is not enough to matter and, if it is outside the ring, the error is so large that the operator will notice.  It is only on the annulus itself that the position error is large enough to matter, but small enough to be credible to an operator.
Also, in some applications, e.g. where the operator has to maintain separation between things, it is relative accuracy that matters, not absolute.
As for field data, have you consulted industrial process control companies, e.g. a power station?  What displays do they use?  Do they collect data from the operation using a robust process, so that failure rates can be confidently predicted for the displays (in that environment)?

John
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnspriggs