[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Tue Jul 26 11:43:33 CEST 2016

Haim

I am not sure how relevant this is, but there is some rail industry
technology that verifies the display output (for specific zones) against
the source data associated with that zone. See:

http://www.deuta.com/en/trust-technologies.aspx

Peter Bishop

On 26/07/2016 09:16, SPRIGGS, John J wrote:
> Hi Haim,
> I am surprised that it is necessary for the operator to be 100% sure
> that the symbol is exactly on the correct spot on the display.  In most
> applications there is an 'annulus of concern' around the 'true'
> position; if the displayed plot is in the hole in the middle, the error
> is not enough to matter and, if it is outside the ring, the error is so
> large that the operator will notice.  It is only on the annulus itself
> that the position error is large enough to matter, but small enough to
> be credible to an operator.
> Also, in some applications, e.g. where the operator has to maintain
> separation between things, it is relative accuracy that matters, not
> absolute.
> As for field data, have you consulted industrial process control
> companies, e.g. a power station?  What displays do they use?  Do they
> collect data from the operation using a robust process, so that failure
> rates can be confidently predicted for the displays (in that environment)?
>
> John
> *_http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnspriggs_*

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
167 City Road, London, EC1V 1AW
http://www.adelard.com
Recep:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850
Direct: +44-(0)20-7832 5855

Registered office: Stourside Place, Station Road, Ashford, Kent TN12 1PP
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.