[SystemSafety] Open safety standards for driverless cars

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Fri Aug 10 01:06:39 CEST 2018

Hi all

We are engineers - right? It's time for some calcs.

Can mathematics reveal to us the truth beyond reason?

The philosopher Nietzsche reflected on the concept of the eternal return.

>From the Wikipedia: "[eternal return] is a theory that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur ... "

This has application to UK Department for Transport's resistance to regulating AVs.

Quite apart from it being an ill-advised policy which will, with 100 percent probability, end in the death of unfortunate citizens, it provides us with a case study to put a number on the frequency of the eternal return. A lose/win situation.

UK transport regulators had a similar attitude just prior to the Armagh rail disaster, where regulations were just suggestions, really. They were blinded by the light of innovation (sound familiar?). "How cool is this. A vehicle that can travel faster than a horse."

Let's drill down:

Date of Armagh rail disaster = 1889

Elapsed time since the disaster (T) = 129 years = 1.29 centuries (a better unit)

Given:

f (frequency) = 1 / T (period)

Frequency of UK hazardous transport policy promulgation = 1/1.29 = .775193798 returns per century

One could say that this is not a bad number given the imperfect nature of the blunt instrument we call government.

But personally, I find their position appalling. What are these people thinking?

Cheers

Les