[SystemSafety] Autonomously Driven Car Kills Pedestrian

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Tue Mar 20 12:19:32 CET 2018

On 2018-03-20 (07.00.27), andrew at andrewbanks.com wrote:
> >From first reports, seems more of a case of "pedestrian walks out in front of car, and gets run over"
>
> The autonomous aspect appears not relevant?

The reports that I have read do not even hint that the case is likely
one in which the pedestrian would be deemed at fault.  Of course, Uber
and other driverless car zealots will try to make that case. I believe,
and hope, they will fail.

Excellent quotes in this story from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/03/19/uber-halts-autonomous-vehicle-testing-after-a-pedestrian-is-struck/

'Missy Cummings, a robotics expert at Duke University who has been
critical of the swift rollout of driverless technology, said the
computer-vision systems for self-driving cars are “deeply flawed” and
can be “incredibly brittle,” particularly in unfamiliar circumstances.

'Companies have not been required by the federal government to prove
that their robotic driving systems are safe. “We’re not holding them to
any standards right now,” Cummings said, arguing that the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration should provide real supervision.'

--
All the best,
*C. Michael Holloway* (cMh)

Verba volant, scripta manent
spoken words fly away, written words remain

(The words in this message are mine alone;
neither blame nor credit NASA for them.)