[SystemSafety] Autonomously Driven Car Kills Pedestrian

Michael Holloway cmh at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Mar 23 12:23:55 CET 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 3:59 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin at causalis.com>
wrote:

> I wonder why it is that people who wish to try out safety-critical
> experiments in public, as well as
> their regulators, are not required to know and accommodate the
> engineering-scientific foundations of
> their task.

​I think it is important to remember that the situation that (rightly)
causes Peter wonderment is simply a particular instantiation of the much
more general case:

I wonder why it is that people who wish to do [X] in public are not
required to know and accommodate the [​A] foundations of their task.

Often [A] may be "engineering-scientific". It also may be (or include)
"mathematical", "philosophical", "sociological", "psychological", ... .

- cMh

(writing from my personal account so no silly disclaimer is needed)