[SystemSafety] GPS jamming

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Thu Jul 11 11:42:02 CEST 2019

All,

AFAI recall, GPS was designed to permit accurate navigation for
missile-carrying submarines. jamming is difficult to do in the open
ocean. Presumably aircraft over open oceans are not going to have their
navigation affected by GPS jamming? (Dunno, I'm not an expert.)
Exploitation-creep has blinded us to the inherent technical weaknesses
of GPS.

Call me old-fashioned but I navigate with a road atlas. Satnav is useful
only in the last mile and I've only ever used it once for that purpose.
... And on long distance routes in the UK, I can almost always pick a
shorter route than any route-finder algorithm I've so far used.

Map-reading should, IMO, be part of the driving test.

Olwen