[SystemSafety] A realistic view of formal verification

Dr. Brendan Patrick Mahony mahonybp at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 8 06:06:15 CET 2022

@Derek,

Surely this is a potential flaw inherent to all of science, engineering and I might suggest mathematics itself.

Given the massive efforts now underway to “assure down to the silicon” (see CompCert, DeepSpec, Everest, Cheri etc) it can not be seen as a minority view in the digital engineering mathematics community. The grand challenge of formal methods is to synthesise assurance arguments of correct behaviour of digital designs from a basis of accepted scientific theory.

A possibly more subtle and interesting threat to this assurance project is the relationship between assured designs and manufactured objects.

Brendan